Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Lucky Day?

                                                         My lucky day?
My brother was sick and it was his lucky day. He wasn't really very sick, just sick enough to stay at home in a nice warm house while I had to go to school alone on a icy cold snowy morning. I was so so jealous.                                                                       My last hope that morning was the radio.As on all the very snowy mornings ,we listened to hear if the school buses had been cancelled. But no such luck. Those stupid school buses hadn't got their wheels frozen up!
I got all my winter clothes on walked as slowly as I could to the bus stop and waited and waited. The bus was late and I was freezing. By the time it arrived all the other kids would be surprised to see a frozen ice statue of me planted there.
My toes were cold ,my nose was cold but the worst was my fingers,even inside my best red mittens with the soft fleecy linings. It was there at  my fingers that the ice statue was starting.It would creep slowly up my arms ,chasing away all the heat as it flowed into the rest of my body.
I thought about going home  and telling my Mom that the bus never came ,but she'd find out in the end and I'd get into trouble,so it wasn't worth it.I would have to grin and bear it. Oh if only I could change into a bear ,with a thick fur coat and furry paws. 
My fingers were so sore with the cold and I was kicking at the snow piles when I saw something in the snow . I uncovered it with the tip of my boot,reached down and picked it up . It was a tiny doll. A little dutch boy ,I thought because he had clogs on .He wore shorts with braces, a shirt and a fishermans cap.He seemed to be made of plastic, but it was a funny kind of plastic , the color of those old old candles that Mom kept in the drawer for emergencies, a yellowy greeny waxy color.
I had the strangest sensation when I touched him, a tingly warm sensation at the tips of my fingers. Magic maybe? I popped him into one of my mittens clasped my hands together , thought about that little magic dutch boy , unfreezing my ice fingers and it worked! Little by little the magic worked! It was really my lucky day.
When the bus arrived there was no frozen statue and going to school didn't seem so bad after all. 
That little dutch boy stayed with me and warmed me (and my brother) all that winter and then 'pouff' he disapeared. I guess he went to help some other kid with frozen fingers in another part of the world where it was really cold. The north pole maybe?
Contrat Creative Commons
My lucky day? by Martti Maguet est mis à disposition selon les termes de la licence Creative Commons Paternité - Pas d'Utilisation Commerciale - Pas de Modification 3.0 Unported.
Basé(e) sur une oeuvre à carapearl.blogspot.com.
Les autorisations au-delà du champ de cette licence peuvent être obtenues à marttimaguet@yahoo.com.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Martti, how precious! I loved this little story. MY lucky day was when we became friends on FB. You are such a joy to know! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete